Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Dinner A'Fare Review


Last month I had my first experience at The Dinner A'Fare.  For those of you who haven't heard of the place, this is the information provided from their website (http://bella213.wordpress.com/wp-admin/www.dinnerafare.com)
How It Works:
At The Dinner A' Fare you won't find a menu filled with casseroles and pre-cooked or frozen ingredients.
Our menu and The Dinner A' Fare concept is built around "FRESH," and we strive to provide the highest quality fresh ingredients. While you will find an occasional casserole by popular demand, we specialize in hand-cut pork chops and pork tenderloins, Black Angus aged beef, fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts, and delicious pastas at the same price as our competitors. We also participate in The Sustainable Seafood Program as our way of keeping a healthy ocean environment.
The Concept:
The Dinner A'Fare is a gourmet studio kitchen with meal prep stations complete with recipes, fresh ingredients, spices, and measuring cups and spoons.
We make dinnertime less stressful by providing a more convenient way for you to create home-cooked meals. In just two hours you can make 12 dishes that have either 1-3 or 4-6 servings each.
We pre-slice, dice, and chop everything you'll need! Take the meals home, put them in your freezer, and cook (following provided instructions) the dishes according to your schedule. We provide a menu with a variety of flavors. Each month the available dishes change. Our dishes and monthly combinations are developed with nutrition, high-quality food, and variety in mind.
Our customers appreciate our extra effort, and you will love the difference.
They have different packages that may vary based on location:
Package 1 – 12 Dishes – Serving Size 4-6 People
Package 2 – 12 Dishes – Serving Size 3 People
Package 3 – 6 Dishes - Serving Size 4-6 People
Package 4 - 6 Dishes - Serving Size 3 People
Since it was my first time going and I had no idea what to expect, I chose package 4 and selected the following dishes (from the March menu)
  1. Flank Steak with Walnut Gorgonzola Butter
  2. Tortellini Pasta with Artichokes and Sun-dried Tomatoes
  3. Bruschetta Chicken
  4. Chicken Balsamico
  5. Flank Steak with Sherry-Tomato Sauce
  6. Barbecue Chicken Quesadillas
So far, I have had the opportunity to prepare 4 of the 6 dishes and each one has been EXCELLENT!
Here is a little synopsis on how this whole thing works: First you need to create an account on their website.  Then you will have to decide which meals you want (this has to be done at the time you make your reservations) and pick an available time. (Side note: you need to enter your credit card to secure your spot, but you do not have to use the same credit card to pay when checking out.  I decided to pay in cash and did not have a problem) About 2 days before you're scheduled to go, you will receive a reminder e-mail with the entrees you selected and the time you need to be there.  Then all you have to do is show up!  I arrived about 10 minutes early and was cheerily greeted and offered a glass of wine or water to enjoy while assembling my selected meals.  I was given a brief overview of how everything worked and then told to let them know if I had any questions.  I was done assembling my meals in about 45 minutes and didn't have any issues.  Everything is extremely clean (which is important to me), the ingredients were all labeled appropriately and most importantly, were fresh!  One thing that concerned me in the beginning and led me to choose the 6 meal package, was how much room it would take up in my freezer.  Here is a little tip I wish I knew before going into it...Once the meals are prepared (most everything is in ziploc bags) you wrap everything up in saran wrap and you wrap the cooking instructions (which they provide) in with your meal.  The end result, everything is wrapped securely and is about the size of a 6-8 inch hoagie!  Definitely made for easy storage!
I was so impressed with everything that I booked my April meals right on the spot!  There is an incentive to book at the same time you check out, you get a free meal!  So if you choose the 6 meal package, you will get 7 meals...if you choose the 12 meal package, you will get 13 meals!

Here is a list of the meals I selected for April.  This time I decided to go with the 12 meal package (and I got the 13th meal free!).  When I go to my April appointment, I am already excited to book for May!
  1. Chicken Piccata
  2. Shrimp Étouffée
  3. Balsamic Honey Glazed Pork Medallions
  4. Chicken Enchiladas Verde
  5. Italian Braciole Stuffed Flank Steak
  6. Orange Sesame Chicken
  7. Cheese Stuffed Manicotti
  8. Rustic French Pork Chops in Cream Sauce
  9. Vegetable Chow Mein with Potsticker Dumplings
  10. Mushroom and Swiss Turkey Burgers
  11. Walnut Pesto Chicken with Linguine
  12. Lemon Butter Tilapia with Orzo
  13. Buffalo Chicken with Bleu Cheese
One more service offered for those who are extremely busy is an option for a stand-in chef. A Stand-in Chef can be arranged to prepare the meals for you.  All you need to do is register for a Stand-in Chef session and then simply pick up your dinners at your scheduled time, oh and pay, too!
If this sounds like something that interests you, I definitely suggest you giving it a chance.  The entire process is extremely pleasant, and the food is incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment