Saturday, April 3, 2010

Canon EOS Rebel XSi Review


While I am not a professional photographer, I enjoy taking pictures more than anyone I know (I don’t know any professional photographers, by the way). I had been using the Canon PowerShot SD970 IS, and I LOVE it, but decided I wanted to get DSLR camera. I did extensive research between many different brands, but when it came down to ease of use and feel in my hand, I felt Canon's EOS Rebel XSi beat the competition hands down. 

From Canon’s website, you can learn the following about this outstanding camera:
Infinite Possibilities.
For stunning photography with point-and-shoot ease, look no further than Canon's EOS Rebel XSi. The EOS Rebel XSi brings staggering technological innovation to the masses. It features Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Live View Function, a powerful DIGIC III Image Processor, plus a new 12.2-megapixel CMOS Sensor and is available in a kit with the new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens with Optical Image Stabilizer. The EOS Rebel XSi's refined, ergonomic design includes a new 3.0-inch LCD monitor, compatibility with SD and SDHC Memory cards and new accessories that enhance every aspect of the photographic experience.

Right now I only have the 18-55 lens which I bought with the camera, but this doesn’t affect the image quality. There is a definite and noticeable difference in pictures that I have taken with my little point and shoot camera versus those I have taken with my DSLR. I hope to get a new lens before my vactions this year, so I have more zooming capabilities. I have researched numerous lenses and this is the one I am hoping to get: Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
IS lens

Compact, lightweight and a wide magnification range - this standard zoom lens features a wide focal length range from normal to telephoto equivalent to 29-320mm in the 35mm format. It features an Optical Image Stabilizer for up to 4-stops of effective correction even at full zoom. Since Canon's optical image stabilization system is in the lens, not in the camera, you can see the stabilized, steadier images through the viewfinder. And the circular aperture can give beautiful background blur effects. This new wide zoom ratio EF-S lens delivers excellent high-speed performance at an affordable price.

As you can read, this lense would be perfect for an every day lens.  It has the capability of zooming to a respectible distance without sacrificing the ability to take close up pictures.  Having a lens that is able to do this is priceless especially when you are on vacation and don't feel like carrying multiple lenses around with you all day.  When I get the new lens, I will review it on my blog, but I can't imagine the results would be anything less than spectacular! 

Overall, I would HIGLY recommend this camera to anyone who is looking to start taking pictures with a DSLR. While I wouldn’t exactly call this is an entry level camera (like a point and shoot), it defintely isn’t as complex (or expensive) as some others out there. A big plus for me, the menus are prety easy to navigate through. For the price, you get an extremely well built camera that will take exceptional pictures. My only warning, it will be hard for you to go back to a point and shoot!

P.S. To view some pictures I took with this camera with the kit lens, look at the review I posted on the New York International Auto Show

Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment