Thursday, April 29, 2010

Brooks Brothers Non-Iron Dress Shirts


Both my husband and I dress up for work (rare these days, I know). After spending a TON of money at the dry cleaner on top of paying around $50 for dress shirts we decided to try the Brooks Brothers Non-Iron Shirts. Now, I realize that non-iron shirts have been around for a while, but there is something different about the Brooks Brothers shirts that are superior to others. They don’t have any special care instructions; I put them in the washing machine with the rest of my clothes on regular cycle and then put them in the dryer. They come out looking perfect and stay looking perfect even after a long work day. My husband has recently started traveling more often for work and not only do the shirts hold up during long flights and layovers in airports, but they pack well too! Their pure cotton shirts are treated with a unique formula that gives memory to the fibers, allowing them to remain virtually without wrinkles during wear.



Probably one of the best things about these shirts is that they offer a nice selection of colors as well as different fits. For men they offer Traditional, Regular, and Slim fits. For women they offer Tailored, Fitted, and Classic fits.


Now you might wonder about the price of these “miracle” shirts…they range in price from around $75 to $125 each. Yes, that sounds expensive (and it is), but they frequently offer sales which reduces the price of each shirt (often times it is $199 for 3 shirts or $66.33 each). We are lucky enough to live relatively close to a Brooks Brothers Factory Store and the prices are even better there (usually $99 for 3 shirts or about $33 a shirt) which is a WHOLE lot cheaper than the per shirt price listed on their website!


Overall, we are extremely happy we found these shirts. It saves us time by not having to iron, saves money by not having to take the clothes to a dry cleaner, and they hold up well. We have been wearing these shirts for over a year and each shirt still looks brand new! I would definitely recommend these shirts to anyone who wears dress shirts frequently of if you are just sick of ironing or spending a fortune at the dry cleaner!


3 comments:

  1. You will be chagrined when they start disintegrating (fraying at the edges of the collar, button rows, and cuffs) and when rips, essentially unprovoked, occur almost anywhere, but especially on the sleeves, as the material breaks down. Essentially this non-iron shirt has to be viewed as disposable, usually within a year (laundering once a week.) They are not a worthwhile investment unless you don't care about value. The company continues to ignore consumer complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your post, but with one caveate. First, the non-iron treatment weakens the fabric by nature. That being said it could cost $400-500 or many hours to launder/press shirts. Therefore they are actually a decent deal for me. Plus.....I'm busy and time is money. These save me time. They do self destruct quite dramatically though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've worn my BB non-irons about once a week for a year now, probably washing once a month. No issues with fraying, no issues with tears, easy to wash (regular wash, tumble dry... usually). And I get a lot of movement out of my clothes when I wear them - I'm not gentle, and I tend to bump into walls (old habits...).

    I haven't ironed them once, haven't got rid of a single one. They are my favorite dress shirts. I will buy more when they hit a new sale.

    Oh, and for those wondering... I work in finance - I would be told, and told bluntly, if my clothes weren't up to snuff.

    ReplyDelete